Director of Development & Communications
About Catholic Charities of North Louisiana:
Catholic Charities of North Louisiana is a 501c3 nonprofit organization headquartered in Shreveport, serving 16 parishes with offices in Shreveport, Monroe, and Lake Providence. Our mission is to bring Christ’s message of love to the poor and vulnerable by providing quality social services to families and individuals without discrimination and in accordance with Catholic Social Teaching and professional standards. Together we invest in people to alleviate poverty, distress, and injustice.
The Development Director will be responsible for developing and implementing the fundraising and communication strategies for the agency. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Development Director will be responsible for achieving the agency’s fundraising goals and engaging sponsors in ongoing service activities. This includes leveraging key relationships and contacts within and outside the Diocese of Shreveport to ensure meeting the agency’s revenue goals.
· Fundraising – Initiates short and long-range goals in cooperation with the Fund Development Committee and approval by the Executive Director. Strategizes and orchestrates methods of approach to donors. Works with Committee and program staff to develop fundraising related projects/events. Organizes individual donor campaigns (e.g., major donors, events like Give for Good, direct mail and board of directors). Organizes solicitation drives for pledges of ongoing support from individuals, corporations, and foundations.
· Grant Management-This includes researching public and private grant sources (agencies, corporations, and foundations) to identify sources of funding, and write grants and funding reports in a timely manner. Work closely with accounting manager to ensure that grants are being allocated as agreed upon.
· Major Gift/Donor Relations – Produce major donor, Board, and special category solicitations/support materials with the intent to retain or upgrade gifts when possible. Cultivates donors by producing specialized correspondences, preparing letters of acknowledgement, scheduling and attending in-person visits.
· Planned Giving Program – Track program progress of pending Legacy and Bequest gifts. Fulfill requests, produce correspondence, and encourage partial/early disbursement where appropriate.
· Database and Records Management – Supervises and coordinates activities of worker(s) engaged in maintaining Donor Perfect and records of contributions and grants. Maintain security and quality controls. Generate queries, reports, exports, and any other collection data as needed. Manage related vendors.
· Marketing & Public Relations – Manages most media and public relations matters. Writes press release on occasion and develops monthly written pieces for the Diocesan magazine. Produces general content for website and social media outlets. Takes photos and videos at varied opportunities for use in digital and print collateral.
· Special Events – Coordinates and oversees all special events including annual appeal, open houses, volunteer work projects, and receptions.
· Income Financial Reporting – Maintain accurate accounting of all income and its sources. Interface with team and Finance Committee to fulfill information requests and maintain reporting accuracy.
· Social Media and Website – Responsible for updating and maintaining the agency’s Facebook, Instagram, and other social media accounts. Performs website maintenance and updates as appropriate.
· Contribute positively to team and agency goals
· Volunteer coordination
· Other duties as assigned
· Minimum of 3 – 5 years of direct Corporate/Foundation/Nonprofit fundraising experience.
· Proven track record of achieving revenue targets and/or quotas.
· Good writing, analytical and problem-solving skills.
· Produce annual report and quarterly newsletter.
· Effective grant writing skills.
· Knowledge of Donor Perfect and/or other fundraising software.
· Knowledge of website management, specifically WordPress.
· Familiarity with PayPal.
· Knowledge of social media best practices.
· High energy, positive, “can-do” attitude, flexibility, teamwork, and attention to detail; high degree of initiative.
· Good computer skills and knowledge of database programs.
· Must be able to respectfully interface with varied groups and individuals.
· Must be able to pass a background check.
· Experienced with Canva or other web-based graphics platforms.
· Basic photography experience a plus.
This position description intends to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. It is not intended to include all duties and responsibilities. The order in which duties and responsibilities are listed is not significant. Because of a need to remain responsive to the needs of our clients and our Agency’s operations, responsibilities may be modified at any time.
WORK HOURS AND LOCATION
Regular office hours 8:30-5:00 p.m., some evening and weekend work/ travel required. Office of Catholic Charities of North Louisiana, 331 E. 71st Street, Shreveport, LA 71106.